Today's recipe is one from the upcoming "Nourishing mom" workshop this weekend. This soup is epic in restoring mom's energy - no matter if you gave birth a few days or a few years ago. It's perfectly balanced to make sure you get long lasting energy to refuel your energy shortage, especially in the brain. The sweet potato offers you fiber for a healthy digestion, and a slow release of energy into your blood stream. The coconut milk has healthy fats to fuel you throughout the whole day, and to feed your foggy brain. And the turmeric is like super woman, swooping in to fight off radicals, which usually suck all the energy out of you. It's a super soup in the truest sense. And it is so delicious, creamy, and warming. Perfect for the last days of winter.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Makes: 2 main servings or 4 side servings
- 1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 thumb sized piece fresh young ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 medium sized sweet potato (make for about 3 cups chopped sweet potato; cut them into small dice, they will cook faster!)
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk (make the best coconut milk at home!)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (making your own is so easy!)
- cilantro, finely chopped
- chili flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Start with a medium sized pot on medium heat. Add the coconut oil, ginger, and onion, and stir often for 5 minutes until slightly browned. It should start to smell delicious!
Add the turmeric powder, and stir for another 2 minutes.
Add the sweet potato, and stir for 1 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth, and bring to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, until the sweet potato are soft.
Once the sweet potato are soft, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until creamy. If you only have a stand up blender, let the soup cool off slightly, so it doesn't break your blender.
Season with sea salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or chili flakes, and serve.
This will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days!
Yummy warming comfort food!